top of page

EHR/PM Revamp

EHR/PM revamp | Creative Direction

This project was a company-wide initiative to reimagine the company’s Electronic Health Records and Practice Management products with modern technology as well as a reimagined UX. These products were the initial products to eventually reimagine our Patient Portal as well as our Mobile offering. We wanted to begin to incorporate AI and NLP as it stood at that point in time. From a creative perspective, we were able to push the boundaries and convert manual processes to more "intelligent" processes utilizing past and current data. I directed a UX Team of 15 multi-disciplinary individuals including Research, Product Design, and Content Writers. In addition, I was involved in demoing the concepts to shippable product with some of our largest clients.

Challenge

While there were several main themes we've collected over the years from physicians and their staff, we decided to find out in fact if these were real user problems. In addition, we had new ideas of how to give the physicians and clinical staff the right information at the right time. Prior to this, we heard that physicians and clinical staff in particular wanted "everything on one page". Former development teams without a dedicated UX Team had tried this approach and it was met with negative feedback. In marketing/sales studies, it was shown that over 63% of current clinical users disapproved. In addition, physicians and their clinical staff wanted to be able to enter structured data, in which reports can be run against, and free text, which could not be reported on at that point in time. 

Role & Responsibility

My role had several elements to it during this time. At this point in my tenure, I had grown the UX Team and broken the team up into 3 collaborative arms: Product Design, Product Research, and Visual Design. So, the first step was to ascertain what current situation was, how technology could enable workflows and experiences that the legacy technology couldn't. In addition, I had to examine along with Product and Engineering leadership in which areas should we begin, along with Project Managers to build and split the main themes into programs. One this was to a certain point, I was able to allocate and delegate activities to the different UX Team members. Finally, for this particular product, I was heavily involved in the actual clinical chart experience, which is depicted in the first image.

Deliverables

To begin with, I had several key Product Researchers, Product Designers and myself meet with both Product and Engineering leadership. The goal of this phase was to find out if the problems were in fact the real problems to solve. I then had my researchers conduct user interviews. We were able to do this very quickly as the Researchers were focused on specific areas of each product/program along with research tools that enabled us access to additional users as well. Through research insights, we diverged in our teams on the research findings. We then had enough data to converge on what problems were the most important to solve. We then diverged on solutions through ideation of wireframes and prototyping. More user interviews were conducted from the designs and we had enough insights to converge on the final design decisions. 

bottom of page